Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Witchfall (The Tudor Witch Trilogy, #2)

Summary:
"Her darkest dreams are coming true 
In Tudor England, 1555, Meg Lytton has learned how powerful her magick gift can be. But danger surrounds her and her mistress, the outcast Princess Elizabeth. Nowhere is safe in the court of Elizabeth's fanatical sister, Queen Mary. And as the Spanish Inquisition's merciless priests slowly tighten their grip on the court, Meg's very dreams are disturbed by the ever-vengeful witchfinder Marcus Dent. 
Even as Meg tries to use her powers to find guidance, something evil arises, impervious to Meg's spells and hungry to control England's fate. As Meg desperately tries to keep her secret betrothed, the Spanish priest Alejandro de Castillo, out of harm's way, caution wars with their forbidden desire. And with her most powerful enemy poised to strike, Meg's only chance is a heartbreaking sacrifice."
Witchfall like Witchstruck leaves me wanting more. I want more of the story and maybe something else... I don't know what I can't put my finger on it but just more. We have more magic and magical obstacles in Witchfall, as well as the terror of the Inquisition in town. Meg has grown as a character she is becoming more confident as a person but less so as a witch and we watch her struggle with being very powerful and common country witch.

Her relationship with Elizabeth is more strained and in a lot of ways more realistic for the era in Witchfall. As far as Alejendro goes.. I like him as a character but I am still not convinced of his and Meg's relationship. I personally feel no connection between them. I most definitely "ship" her and Richard though... he is Master Dee's apprentice.

Overall my feelings about Witchfall are quite Neutral. It was a great middle book and like most middle books in a series, they are more of a transition book than overly exciting. There was lots of drama and action, but nothing that wasn't strongly foreshadowed while reading. I definitely anticipate Book 3 to be craziness though. For those who haven't read the trilogy, I recommend you do since it is a nice blend of witchcraft and history.

No comments:

Post a Comment