Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Lions and Tigers and Elephants?.. OH MY!



There is a reason this book was number one on the New York Times Bestsellers List and has the potential to be an Oscar Nominated movie as well. Water for Elephants is set in the'30's depression America and present day. The main character is Jacob, who is a ninety something year old main living in a home and when the circus comes into town. Jacob reflects on his earlier years as a vet for a circus. He recalls being a virgin, how he wound up with the circus, his first love and a murder. The book smoothly transitions between past and present, in a way that doesn't leave you upset that the main story is being interrupted cause both the past story and present are just as important.

Water for Elephants is a book for everyone, I find it hard to believe someone not enjoying this book. Although sexually explicit at times and there are moments that make you stomach clench. The book is real, it doesn't hold back. It's a book about love, murder, mystery but in a way it's a reminder. A reminder to live our lives to the fullest cause one day those days where you wished life would get a little bit better are going to be the days you wish you could go back too. The book comes full circle with it ending and there is an amazing, twist to the book. One I guarantee you won't see coming. Overall, I loved the book and recommend it to anyone and everyone.

The reason I don't have much to write about this book is because you really can't explain it, you can't explain it too much without giving it's secrets away.

What's Next?


Well, I was going to read Vows, Vendettas and A Little Black Dress next... but the book got severely damaged and I have this weird OCD thing, where I like my books to be in a great condition... So, although I can read the book in the condition it's in, I feel the need to buy a new one, only problem is I am not even sure the book is good enough to buy again. although it has a 4 star average review on Amazon.
So, the book next on my list after Vows, Vendetta and A Little Black Dress is Celebutantes by Amanda Goldberg and Ruthanna Khalighi Hopper. I found this book at a Dollar Tree... So, my expectations aren't high for the book but thanks to good marketing the title and cover of the book intrigued me. Therefore, I am excited to find out what the book is about.

1 comment:

  1. Water for Elephants is my favorite book without a doubt. I absolutely loved it when I read it. There were times where it had me laughing and others when I was nearly in tears. I just saw the movie and thought it was really good. No where as near as the book, but still very touching. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete