Monday, March 19, 2012

I'm So Happy For You

Summary:
"What if your best friend, whom you've always counted on to flounder in life and love (making your own modest accomplishments look not so bad), suddenly starts to surpass you in every way? 
Wendy's best friend, Daphne, has always been dependably prone to catastrophe. And Wendy has always been there to help. If Daphne veers from suicidal to madly in love, Wendy offers encouragement. But when Daphne is suddenly engaged, pregnant, and decorating a fabulous town house in no time at all, Wendy is...not so happy for her. Caught between wanting to be the best friend she prides herself on being and crippling jealousy of flighty Daphne, Wendy takes things to the extreme, waging a full-scale attack on her best friend-all the while wearing her best, I'm-so-happy-for-you smile-and ends up in way over her head. 
Rosenfeld has a knack for exposing the not-always-pretty side of being best friends--in writing that is glittering and diamond-sharp. I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU is a smart, darkly humorous, and uncannily dead-on novel about female friendship. "

Plot: I think the plot was suppose to be sarcastic, but really it was petty and annoying.
Characters: The main character Wendy is an aggravating main character, I could find no redeeming qualities in her, and the other characters are not any better, I feel they were made in an attempt to make Wendy not look as bad, which didn't work.
Pros: None
Cons: Too Many
Final Thoughts: I would LOVE to say something nice about this book, but I can't find anything nice to say about it. I was hoping for a funny interpretation on friendship and this was just BAD. I mean why would anyone be friends with someone like that? The things Wendy does are ridiculously childish and not even close to being justified. I couldn't even feel bad for her, when bad things happened to her, because she was that obnoxious of a character. This book had so much potential and did not deliver at all. I was also annoyed for the unnecessary political discussions.

No comments:

Post a Comment