Sunday, August 18, 2013

Siege and Storm (The Grisha #2)

Summary:
"Darkness never dies.
Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land. She finds starting new is not easy while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. She can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.
The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her--or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm."

Why HELLOoOoOoO.... Darkling!
It doesn't take much to get sucked back into the Grisha world. In fact, it only takes 25 pages to leave you with your mouth gaping.  The plot does more story and world building, than action and plowing through, which for Book 2, I think was the perfect choice. Bardugo, does a marvelous job at giving the reader what they want, while still making them beg for more.


I am liking Alina more and more especially as her confidence grows, I also enjoyed Mal more in this book, but still am not convinced in him as the leading man. I just feel there is something lacking in his and Alina's relationship. Mainly, because it is SO brother-sister like. There are 3 additions to the book, that I enjoyed very much. That being the Privateer, whose role I think is vital to caring this story, and who I definitely have a crush on. I am definitely wishing him and Alina to hook up! Then there is Tamar and Tamin. They become Alina's confidants and they have a way about them, that makes you love them. Maybe it is the protective gentle giant type thing.

And of course... we cannot forget the Darkling. He actually isn't present very much and it mostly, just a Shadow to be feared. However, when he does appear I still love him and I pretty much never love the bad guy. A bad boy sure, but not a truly evil person. Which, is something I truly admire about Bardugo's writing. She can make you not just LIKE the bad guy but become Infatuated with him.


There is SO much that happens in Siege and Storm and all very much important to the series storyline. While reading Siege and Storm though, I knew there was to be an epic ending, since I had heard SO much about this epic ending, I was read through the book rapidly, eagerly waiting and anticipating it and I was disappointed. ONLY, because I was anticipating it so much, that I already saw it coming. I had built it up A LOT. However, I can say it is a good ending and if you don't over think it like me, you will hate and love it. Bardugo's writing is beyond superb and Siege and Storm is just one of those books, that is hard to review... because you might let something possibly spoilery slip. It is a great sequel to Shadow and Bone and overall, a HIGHLY recommended series. 




No comments:

Post a Comment