Tuesday, November 23, 2010

How To Be Single


You know when I start a book, as I begin reading it.. I begin thinking about what I am going to write for my review of the book. I make little mental notes, about what i liked, what I didn't like, how it made me feel, how long it took me to read, and overall I think about what makes the book different then any other book I have read, but also, what makes it similar to other books and with How To Be Single. I honestly don't know where to begin. You see, I had this review pretty much written and summed up in my head until the last 100 pages of so of the book. Here goes nothing.

How To Be Single By Liz Tuccillo is Sex In The City meets He's Just Not That Into You, Meets Eat,Pray,Love. The fore most making a lot of sense since she was a screenwriter for Sex In The City and she co-wrote He Just Not That Into You. The Book is about 5 New York 30-something woman, who are all.. you guessed it! Single. The book is centered around one women named Julie, and HER friends Georgia,Serena,Ruby and Alice. Each women with their own stories, there own personalities but same dilemma. After one tragic night out on the town Julie decides she is going to write a book on being single and how women from other cultures; deal with being single. While Julie is off researching the book goes back and forth between her friends lives back in New York.. and how these four other women lean on each other with out having Julie around and also, how they deal with being single in the city.

To be honest, I don't know how I feel about the book, it took me awhile to read.. it was one of those books where I would say "I need to finish it.." but then I could always find something better to do.. so I read it a few pages at a time, until I finally got to the end. The book was interesting, to see the harsh reality of growing older and well being single. The book had its love stories here and there but for the most part, it was a ride awakening. I did enjoy the culture shocks though. It is funny how the author really didn't have to vividly describe the cities the character was in.. she just describes the people and the ambiance of the city came to life on the page. The thing is.. although this book is suppose to be fiction.. it is actually quite truthful and real. There was a lot of research done for it.. and to hear how different women all over the world dealt with being 30-somethings and single was really quite amazing. From open marriages, to true love, to arranged marriages. It was definitely an experience.

Where I started to actually have emotions in the book is interesting though, the parts of the book that stood out for me, were really parts of the book that I don't know.. were minimal. Meaning had they not been in the book.. the overall book would not have been changed. My first, intense emotion happened when Julie was in China and explained that she had to use a "Squatter" toilet in public. This was a culture shock to me and frankly it scared me...after hearing that my want to visit China ever went WAY WAY down. Then there was her visit to India. Which I don't know why but made me think... because an issue she addressed was the kids of the slums begging for money on the streets... You know Slumdog Millionaire Style.. The theme of that chapter was the locals would say "don't give them money, it's a scam" and also " you know they are happy, they don't know anything else" So, this made me think... of course they are happy, they don't know anything but poverty. Not saying that the conditions they live in are acceptable but that was just an interesting gem. The third thing I was surprised about is an issue in Serena's life that happens, towards the end of the book, that had me in tears.. but I will not spoil that for you. These being the most emotional and memorable moments in the book for me, also makes me think.. if those are what got to me the most.. what does it say about the actual book itself? Like I said I am not sure, whether or not I like this book.The Ending really surprised me, mainly cause I guess it wasn't what I expected... I expected it to end one way or the other, either they all find the loves of their life or they all end up being single and although one of those is correct I was still surprised how the women got to that moment and how cinematic cheesy movie the author made it.

Would I recommend this book... not necessarily.. if you are a girl who is struggling with being single then yes, I would.. mainly because it gives you some many options on how you can look at your singledom and also possible solutions. Otherwise, the book was alright and I'm glad I bought it used.

What's Next?

The next book in my repertoire of books is Go Ask Alice By Anonymous. I decided on Go Ask Alice, mainly because I have heard a lot of buzz over this book for a while now... and it suppose to be a nitty gritty TRUE struggling teen story. I'm thinking and hoping like the movie Thirteen...? Who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment