Monday, August 8, 2011

Vixen

Summary:
"Jazz . . . Booze . . . Boys . . . It’s a dangerous combination. Every girl wants what she can’t have. Seventeen-year-old Gloria Carmody wants the flapper lifestyle—and the bobbed hair, cigarettes, and music-filled nights that go with it. Now that she’s engaged to Sebastian Grey, scion of one of Chicago’s most powerful families, Gloria’s party days are over before they’ve even begun . . . or are they? Clara Knowles, Gloria’s goody-two-shoes cousin, has arrived to make sure the high-society wedding comes off without a hitch—but Clara isn’t as lily-white as she appears. Seems she has some dirty little secrets of her own that she’ll do anything to keep hidden. . . .  Lorraine Dyer, Gloria’s social-climbing best friend, is tired of living in Gloria’s shadow. When Lorraine’s envy spills over into desperate spite, no one is safe. And someone’s going to be very sorry. . . . "

Plot: At first it was hard for me to get into this book, mainly cause I find similarities between the Luxe Series and this one. And although I have yet to read Bright Young Things (also, by the author of The Luxe Series) It also has 20's premise. But when you take the book for what it is, it has a nice intriguing story line, that is intriguing enough, but not unique.

Character: The three girls I enjoyed, you can't really dislike any of them too much. They each are there own person and Larkin distinguishes that pretty well, but telling each chapter in a different view point. She also, develops strong male characters and well as other supporting characters.

Pros: Fun, enticing and rip roaring 20's 

Cons: The insta- love, not enough build up between the characters. Also, on the page I was appalled to see a character using the phrase "Oh My Gawd..." Not my idea of proper 20's language. This instantly made me even more skeptical 

Final Thoughts: I feel the story line has already been done and it was pretty similar to Anna Godbersen's the Luxe Series. However, like i said when I read the book at face value and understood that it is hard to be completely original and you just need to add your own touch to it. Once, I did that I began to really enjoy the book. I fell in love with Jerome and Marcus (future MBBF's?) I felt I was reading a dirty love novel when they were each together with their leading ladies. Although kept quite G-Rated. I could feel their passion. The only thing was I wanted more build up. In general I wanted a little more build up. I didn't feel as if the book had enough description. It was set in the 20's but didn't feel like it was in the 20's much at all. Larkin did take her characters to interesting conclusions and the end of this book though and since I do like the girls, I am interested in seeing where these paths will lead them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment