Wednesday, August 25, 2010

If I Die Young...



The Lovely Bones was another one of those books, that I had heard about but didn't get to reading until they were making a movie out of it... and Trust me, there will be more cases like this one. I cannot say I loved this book, but I can't say I hated it either.. and it wasn't just okay. It was a breath of fresh air. Which May be a weird way to describe it.

The Lovely Bones is set in the early 70's when 14 year old Susie Salmon is raped and murdered on her way home from school, by her neighbor. The book follows Susie and her families life after she is murdered. We see how over the years the tragedy of losing a child and never knowing the answers, tears this family apart. We see a father go nearly insane over trying to find his daughters killer, a mother who has turned cold inside, a sister who has to live her life in Susie's shoes and always be known as "the sister to the girl who was murdered", and a younger brother who doesn't know what think cause well he was too young to fully understand. We see the friends of Susie cope and try to move on and a detective who cannot seem to let go of the case, despite the lack of evidence. And as all this is going on, 14 year old Susie is looking down on them all, over the years while she is in the "in- between".What I like the most about the book is, we also see her killers point of view. His mind set and his life stories that led him to be the person he has become.

I think I took this book to heart, mainly because it deals with the tragedy that happens around us in this world on a daily basis. This quote from the book says it best.
Because horror on Earth is real and it is everyday. It is like a flower or like the sun; it cannot be contained. -The Lovely Bones, Pg.186

Read the book. See The Movie. Take It To Heart. Cause I most definitely did... Although the movie isn't as good as the book (but rarely it ever is).

Currently Reading: Twenties Girl By Sophie Kinsella

No comments:

Post a Comment