Thursday, August 19, 2010

Oh Dear...



I feel this book as well as it movie really failed to please me.. the expectations exceeded what they delivered. Now for the book.... I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it; I didn't dislike it, but I didn't like it either. It was OK. I was really excited to read "Dear John" because I thought I could relate to it being as my Fiancé was a Marine and we spent the 1st 7 months of our relationship, mailing letters to each other. Like in the book.. However, I found myself not really connecting to the book; the book has twists that I think usually make a book great and different. Just for me it didn't work, I was expecting one thing and didn't get it. Especially because the author is Nicholas Sparks, author of famous love stories and movies "A Walk to Remember" and "The Notebook". Although in ways these books and this book has similarities the love connection wasn't enough.

The Book has a pretty simple plot. A Soldier named John is on leave and visiting his father back in their small southern town. While on leave John meets Savannah and after a few short days they fall in love and decide to keep their relationship going through letters to each other. Trouble ensues when Johns contract is over and he is suppose to come back to the states and live his life with Savannah, than Sept. 11th happens and John re-enlists. Another year of a relationship through letters, becomes straining. Will they survive it?

I have met plenty of people who loved the book and loved the movie, but for me it just didn't hit the mark and would not be a book I would immediately think of when recommending books to others. I am curious though...to the people who have read the book...did you enjoy it, or do you feel the same as me?

Currently Reading: Asylum by Patrick McGrath

No comments:

Post a Comment