Wednesday, December 29, 2010

What's Your Personal Legend?

Merry Christmahannukwanzakah to everyone! 
This year I was truly blessed with great family and friends, although, our Christmas Day was a little rocky ( think being sick and driving in the rain lost for 5 hours). Although, Christmas is never about gifts.. I got all the gifts I would have liked to have and even some more books! You know how I love love love my books, as well as a Barnes and Noble Gift Card. Which I cannot WAIT to use. I also, discovered that you can make your own profile on Barnes and Noble's Website which I did. If you want to find me, and be my friend, just ask.. I don't know if you can search using the Pen Names but mine is KTTDH5 and I also, have an account on Amazon as well. Point is books, make me happy. = ) Now the book review...


The Alchemist is a great book, it truly is... I recognize the greatness of the book. However, this book just wasn't my cup of tea. I will say the book is universal in the sense that it speaks to everyone. It talks about finding your personal legend and sticking to it. The book, uses religion and nature beautifully. 

If you haven't read the Alchemist even though it has been around for 20 something years. Then I will late it out for you. It starts off with a Boy who is a Shepard. The boy became a Shepard because he wanted to travel. Although, content with the life he had been having, he kept having dreams about Pyramids. So, he went to a gypsy who translated the dream saying he must go to these Pyramids and he will find his treasure. The boy shrugs it off at first but then he meets a man who tells him that this is his personal legend and gives him the motivation he needs to follow his dream. From there the boy goes on a long journey, through Spain and Africa to find the Pyramids in Egypt along the way he meets thieves, works for shop owners and finds love, but most importantly he meets The Alchemist who teaches him about life and how to face challenges that would keep him from his personal legend.

As I stated before, I recognize the greatness of the book and I liked the book, but to me I felt this book was perfect for school. It felt like a book I was to read for English class and learn a lesson from, the books we read in English are great books, they are for the most part books I will always remember (which I believe makes a great book), but I think for me at least the trifecta of a great book also is when, you just can't put it down. I understand that this is debatable cause some books aren't the most well written books, but you can't put them down and some books you remember cause they  sucked.. or sometimes a well written book, isn't intriguing enough to never want to put down (like in this case). ANYWAYS, for me if you can get through the first 60 pages, which for me are rather boring then you will be fine. I am just saying for me this book was alright.

What's Next?

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald ! I am always, excited to read a new book, but this book excites me for many reasons. Mainly cause I know it is a beloved classic, that many people have read and well, I haven't. I am excited about this book, because I don't really know much about it, besides that it takes place in the 20's era (an era I love). I am also excited cause right after I bought this book, it was announced that they were making it into a movie. Which means I will have read the book, before seeing the movie, which I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment