Monday, January 2, 2012

Between Two Queens (Secrets of The Tudor Court)

Summary:
"Pretty, flirtatious, and ambitious. Nan Bassett hopes that an appointment at the court of King Henry VIII will bring her a grand marriage. But soon after she becomes a maid of honor to Queen Jane, the queen dies in childbirth. As the court plunges into mourning, Nan sets her sights on the greatest match in the land...for the king has noticed her. After all, it wouldn't be the first time King Henry has chosen to wed a maid of honor. And in newly Protestant England, where plots to restore the old religion abound, Nan may be the only one who can reassure a suspicious king of her family's loyalty. But the favor of a king can be dangerous and chancy, not just for Nan, but for her family as well...and passionate Nan is guarding a secret, one that could put her future -- and her life -- in grave jeopardy should anyone discover the truth.
Based on the life of the real Anne Bassett and her family, and drawing extensively from letters and diaries of the time, Between Two Queens is an enthralling picture of the dangers "

Plot: The way the books was written out, was well though out, Emerson included all the important details of Tudor History, and or Nan Bassett's life without drawing it out to be long and boring. I found the book to written very well and entertaining. 
Characters: I liked how Emerson wrote King Henry, she was able to make him more human and not someone I terribly hated (which in most books he comes of as). I liked Nan as well, she was smart and bold, she knew what she wanted but was realistic as well.
Pros: She let's us know what parts are not historically accurate, entertaining, well formatted.
Cons: Not entirely Historically Accurate.
Final Thoughts: I know it is stupid that I am giving a pro and a con for historical accuracy. Mainly because most books I want what I read to be as Historically Accurate as plausible, while still being entertaining. Most Historical fictions will not come out and SAY it directly. They make a small note of it somewhere in the book. So I am glad she told us what was made up. However, i didn't like what Emerson made up, mainly because, it didn't NEED to be made up and was purely made to make the story that much more entertaining. For example Nan's Baby. I found that a very interesting piece of fact. Only to be told it was made up. I don't like that.  OVERALL though, I enjoyed the story. Mainly because it wasn't about King Henry and His Wives. It was about a women at Court and her relations with the royal family and her struggles. Something I did not know about. So in the sense I enjoyed it a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment