Monday, January 16, 2012

The Postmistress

Summary:
"In 1940, Iris James is the postmistress in coastal Franklin, Massachusetts. Iris knows more about the townspeople than she will ever say, and believes her job is to deliver secrets. Yet one day she does the unthinkable: slips a letter into her pocket, reads it, and doesn't deliver it. 
Meanwhile, Frankie Bard broadcasts from overseas with Edward R. Murrow. Her dispatches beg listeners to pay heed as the Nazis bomb London nightly. Most of the townspeople of Franklin think the war can't touch them. But both Iris and Frankie know better... 
The Postmistress is a tale of two worlds-one shattered by violence, the other willfully naïve-and of two women whose job is to deliver the news, yet who find themselves unable to do so. Through their eyes, and the eyes of everyday people caught in history's tide, it examines how stories are told, and how the fact of war is borne even through everyday life."

Have you ever read a book and thought to yourself  "Am I missing something?" , because that is how I felt pretty much them whole time I was reading The Postmistress. My mistake may have been by thinking this book would focus on well... The Postmistress. I don't know why, I would think that.. Honestly, I was disappointed in this book, so much that after getting 70% through the book, I couldn't read anymore. At that point I just couldn't see where this book was going.

The setting is in Cape Cod and Europe. We have Emma and Will --- the doctor and his wife, who live in Cape Cod, Until Will goes to London. Iris and Henry, The Postmistress and her lover (Cape Cod) and Then Frankie, the journalist over in Europe. The story switches between all of these perspectives and stories, within in sentences. So much that it gets confusing, who you are reading about. Which was one of my least favorite things about the book. Secondly, the story is mainly focused of Frankie, which for the most is a somewhat interesting story, but the book is called the Postmistress, not The Broadcaster.. Honestly the only time I was interested in the story was when we were over seas with Frankie.

I had no emotional connection with these characters, there was too much jumping around and SO much  unneeded details to the story. I could see the potential in the book, otherwise I wouldn't have read as far as I had and there were some beautiful moments of writing, but overall the book was a clusterfuck and disappointing. I am sorry, cause this may be the meanest review I have written, but I just can't see how this book works at all.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you! I'm always surprised when people gush about this book, because there were so many things I disliked about it. I wasn't a huge fan of an of the characters, either, but I hated how every time we got to know one of them, they died! I mean, isn't there any other way to advance a story? (Yes, yes, there is!) Overall, a pretty bleak and unhappy story...glad I'm not the only one who thought so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way that you did! I read this book probably a year and a half ago, and I just felt like something was missing. Also, I was really turned off by the first chapter, where she goes to the doctor. It was just so awkward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard so many amazing reviews on this, so I was a bit surprised to hear you didn't like it. Although from the comments you've received already it looks like you're not alone. I do have this to read, and when I have the chance hopefully I enjoy it at least a little more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is a book, you either love or hate.

      Delete