Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars


Summary:
"Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. 
Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. 
Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind."
Plot: This book isn't really about Cancer. I mean it is, but it really isn't. What makes the plot different is that, although sad, it isn't sappy. This isn't Nicholas Sparks or Jodi Picoult (authors I do enjoy as well) we mean a different kind of cancer patient. Ones we don't know read about and well I like it.

Characters: What can I Say? I like Hazel and I like Augustus. They show you how two different people are coping with Cancer. Someone who wants to die with a legacy and the other happy with just being. I enjoyed Issac who brought another level of humor and sympathy to the book. Besides Peter Van Houten, the cast is very likeable and realistic.

Pros: You won't read another book with Cancer in it, written as well as this, It makes you think, it isn't really simple.

Cons: No Cons Per-Say Although I personally could have done w/o Peter Van Houten.. However, he is an extremely essential layer to the book.

Final Thoughts: I expected to cry my eyes out, but I didn't. I did cry, just not as much as I was prepared too, I think that is because I identified with Hazel and kind of accepted the outcome. And oddly, when it comes to The Fault In Our Stars I am pretty speechless. The book is beautifully written and John Green's humor does come through. The Story Inside a Story is gorgeous. I just enjoyed the layers of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment