Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Kissing Shakespeare

Summary:
"Miranda has Shakespeare in her blood: she hopes one day to become a Shakespearean actor like her famous parents. At least, she does until her disastrous performance in her school's staging of The Taming of the Shrew. Humiliated, Miranda skips the opening-night party. All she wants to do is hide. 
Fellow cast member, Stephen Langford, has other plans for Miranda. When he steps out of the backstage shadows and asks if she'd like to meet Shakespeare, Miranda thinks he's a total nutcase. But before she can object, Stephen whisks her back to 16th century England—the world Stephen's really from. He wants Miranda to use her acting talents and modern-day charms on the young Will Shakespeare. Without her help, Stephen claims, the world will lose its greatest playwright. 
Miranda isn't convinced she's the girl for the job. Why would Shakespeare care about her? And just who is this infuriating time traveler, Stephen Langford? Reluctantly, she agrees to help, knowing that it's her only chance of getting back to the present and her "real" life. What Miranda doesn't bargain for is finding true love . . . with no acting required."
As I started reading books for review, I have had to become a more critical reader... So I am always reading books with the thought of what is this books faults and what are its strengths and as I do this, sometimes I get so caught  up, that I don't get to enjoy reading in general. This is sort of what happened to me while reading Kissing Shakespeare. The writing and plot of this book are not really that strong and I found myself judging the books based on that, but in the back of my head I was saying " but it is kind of a cute fun story.." So I had to stop and say to myself, just enjoy the book for what it is, enjoy reading! Which is what I did and once I did that I found the book to be enjoyable. I would liken it to Twilight... not the best written book, but you can't help but get sucked into it.

Kissing Shakespeare isn't what you were thinking it would be. I can guarantee that, but it is a nice, light read. Try not to think of all the holes in the plot line or one dimensional characters. There is A LOT of sexual tension, but that wasn't even ended properly. That may have been my biggest disappointment, if I was going to read a "fluff" book I at least wanted the romance to be there and Mingle left me hanging!    

The concept of the storyline isn't that original and you can pretty much predict how this story will end. Had the writing been stronger, or had the romance is the book had proper closure. I would say this book is worth a read. Overall, I am just "meh".

1 comment: