Thursday, August 23, 2012

One For The Money - Book and Movie Review

Summary:
"Welcome to Trenton, New Jersey, home to wiseguys, average Joes, and Stephanie Plum, who sports a big attitude and even bigger money problems (since losing her job as a lingerie buyer for a department store). Stephanie needs cash--fast--but times are tough, and soon she's forced to turn to the last resort of the truly desperate: family.
Stephanie lands a gig at her sleazy cousin Vinnie's bail bonding company. She's got no experience. But that doesn't matter. Neither does the fact that the bail jumper in question is local vice cop Joe Morelli. From the time he first looked up her dress to the time he first got into her pants to the time Steph hit him with her father's Buick, M-o-r-e-l-l-i has spelled t-r-o-u-b-l-e. And now the hot guy is in hot water--wanted for murder.
Abject poverty is a great motivator for learning new skills, but being trained in the school of hard knocks by people like psycho prizefighter Benito Ramirez isn't. Still, if Stephanie can nab Morelli in a week, she'll make a cool ten grand. All she has to do is become an expert bounty hunter overnight--and keep herself from getting killed before she gets her man."

The Book
When I heard that this book and it's series was really good and a must read, I was skeptical. However, the trailer for the movie was entertaining and the book was only $8 and wow, I am happy I read this book. Stephanie Plum is a great character and the plot was very entertaining and way more adult and serious/creepier than I expected it to be. Given that I do like Crime Fiction I was bothered. I think that is a pretty big deal to mix a book that is seen as chick lit and mix in legit crime fiction. And Man, I wanted to hate Joe Morelli, yet somehow I was falling in love with him! He was sexy and was pretty much there when you needed him to be there. There were times where Stephanie annoyed me, I mean call the cops, and move lady! But then the book probably wouldn't be as interesting right? I finished the book in a day and was excited to watch the movie right after...

The Movie
Which leads me to the biggest buzz kill ever! Talk about a poorly directed movie and although generally accurate with the book, this movie managed to cheapen a good book! Within 10 minutes of the movie, I was over it. That is how bad it is. So, if you saw the movie before reading the book. I urge to erase that from your mind and read the book!



No comments:

Post a Comment