Monday, October 8, 2012

Second Helpings (Book 2)

Summary:
"“Knowing that I’ve just done something that will take decades off my parents’ lives with worry, you’ll excuse me for not getting into the fa-la-la-la-la Yuletide spirit this year. . . . The only difference between Christmas 2001 and Christmas 2000 is that I don’t have a visit from Hope to look forward to. And Bethany has already packed on some major fetal flab. Oh, and now Gladdie doesn’t need to ask a bizillion questions about my boyfriend, because she’s already gotten the dirt from you know who.”
Jessica Darling is up in arms again in this much-anticipated, hilarious sequel to Sloppy Firsts. This time, the hyperobservant, angst-ridden teenager is going through the social and emotional ordeal of her senior year at Pineville High. Not only does the mysterious and oh-so-compelling Marcus Flutie continue to distract Jessica, but her best friend, Hope, still lives in another state, and she can’t seem to escape the clutches of the Clueless Crew, her annoying so-called friends. To top it off, Jessica’s parents won’t get off her butt about choosing a college, and her sister Bethany’s pregnancy is causing a big stir in the Darling household. "
In book two of The Jessica Darling Series, I enjoyed watching a more mature slighty less neurotic Jessica decide where she is going to college, ignoring Marcus Flutie, Having a Boyfriend and overall trying to get through her Senior Year of high school. McCafferty does a good job at showing a very rounded aspect of how high school life can be  for every social circle. And as usual, I can laugh along with Jessica, I cringe with her in those embarrassing, can't we all pretend this didn't happen moments and my heart melts for her in all those stomach flutter moments.

What I enjoyed most on Second Helpings is there was an amount of comfort with these characters, you really felt like you already knew them and that you weren't intruding on their lives. Also, everything was less dramatic in book 2 and a little more realistic. Second Helpings was a good sophomore book and I really cannot wait to see where Jessica goes in the rest of the series, but not just her the rest of the characters too.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard such great things about this series, but still haven't picked it up yet. I'm always seeing the 2nd or 3rd books bargain priced, but never the first. I've been hoping to find the first that way, but at some point I may just have to actually go out and buy it.

    ReplyDelete