Monday, April 15, 2013

Going Vintage

Summary:
"When Mallory’s boyfriend, Jeremy, cheats on her with an online girlfriend, Mallory decides the best way to de-Jeremy her life is to de-modernize things too. Inspired by a list of goals her grandmother made in1962, Mallory swears off technology and returns to a simpler time (when boyfriends couldn’t cheat with computer avatars). The List:1. Run for pep club secretary2. Host a fancy dinner party/soiree3. Sew a dress for Homecoming4. Find a steady5. Do something dangerousBut simple proves to be crazy-complicated, and the details of the past begin to change Mallory’s present. Add in a too-busy grandmother, a sassy sister, and the cute pep-club president–who just happens to be her ex’s cousin–and soon Mallory begins to wonder if going vintage is going too far."

Plot: I thought the idea of Going Vintage was really darling and a refreshing light read. I do feel it needed to be stronger in some parts and that some plot lines weren't needed, but again the whole plot line and main character Mallory were just too cute and personally relate-able that I can let the few faulty things slide.

Characters: I adore Mallory mainly cause in a lot of ways she was like me. Especially, being sentimental about things in the past and making lists. I thought her sister Ginnie complimented her well and that they had the perfect sisterly relationship of being annoyed with each other and supporting each other. Their parents, were a good combo of loving and crazy. Just like all our parents right? I wanted to like Grandma, but she wasn't given enough time in my opinion to be redeemed. Then there is Oliver. Who I totally a great guy and reminds me of a few guys I know.

Pros: Quick Easy Summer Read with relate-able teenage dialogue.

Cons: Mom and Dad plot line was not needed and Grandma's plot line as just to far out of left field in my opinion to even work with the plot line. Although, I like Mallory and Oliver... their wasn't enough time or chemistry between them for me to believe their relationship. They felt better as friends.

Final Thoughts: I would definitely recommend Going Vintage to a younger age group, although it is entertaining... As stated above the plot lines felt random. Maybe if there was another 50-100 pages she could justify some of the writing choices and relationships.

1 comment:

  1. The more I hear about this, the cuter I think it sounds. I definitely think it'd be a fun book to pick up over the summer.

    ReplyDelete