Friday, July 8, 2011

The Carrie Diaries


I am going to be honest I was never a huge Sex and The City follower. I understood the main premise, the main characters and the main plot line and that was about it. Until recently, where I have begin  watching episodes OnDemand. Even though I wasn't a die hard fan, I still loved what the show was about and it introduced me to the designer clothing world.  Needless to say I was pretty excited when I heard that Candace Bushnell was writing a YA book on a young Carrie's life. I like books like that, that explain in more depth where the character came from and how she became who we know he as now. 

So, in case you didn't know Carrie Bradshaw came from a tiny town in Castlebury, Connecticut, has two younger sisters and a widowed father. Who is a scientist and wants Carrie to follow in his steps and become one as well. We start to follow Carrie at the beginning of her Senior Year. We watch Carrie evolve into her own, as she dates and has break-ups and deals with being bullied by the popular girls, friendship trials and tribulations and so forth. 

Now, to the part where I review the book... When I Got the book at the library, I was unbelievably excited to read it and then I started reading it and at the first 50 pages I was really disappointed. I felt that the Carrie that was being described was NOT the Carrie Bradshaw we all know and love and then somewhere in the early 100's something changed and the book became ever so addicting and little pieces (emphasize little) of Carrie started to appear and before I knew it I couldn't put the book down. I was entranced into this YA Chick-Lit and I wanted more when it ended.

Some of My Favorite Quotes

"...You don't want to peak in high school. If you do, the rest of your life is a disaster." - Pg. 201

"I don't like to think of myself as a 'virgin'. I prefer to think of myself as 'sexually incomplete'  You know like I haven't finished the course yet" - Pg. 212

"How is this possible? How can a three month relationship end in less than fifteen minutes? But the world can change in seconds. There are sudden car accidents. And deaths.They say you're lucky if you know someone is going to die, because that way you have time to say good-bye" - Pg. 247


2 comments:

  1. I was mixed on this one. I read the Sex and the City book, and she's supposed to be portraying it from the book Carrie and she made a few mistakes. But I can't help but like what Bushnell writes so in the end I liked it. She wrote a sequel to this too! =) I haven't read it yet, I'm sort of behind lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.. I totally forgot about the book Sex In The City, but overall I agree my feelings were mixed.. I felt some things did not add up... but in general I couldn't help but like it. I am excited for the sequel as well!

    ReplyDelete