Thursday, July 21, 2011

Deja Dead


Summary:
"It's June in Montreal, and Dr. Temperance Brennan, who has left a shaky marriage back home in North Carolina to take on the challenging assignment of Director of Forensic Anthropology for the province of Quebec, looks forward to a relaxing weekend in beautiful Quebec City. First, though, she must stop at a newly uncovered burial site in the heart of the city. The remains are probably old and only of archeological interest, but Tempe must make sure they're not a case for the police. One look at the decomposed and decapitated corpse, stored neatly in plastic bags, tells her she'll spend the weekend in the crime lab. Something about the crime scene is familiar to Tempe: the stashing of the body parts; the meticulous dismemberment. As a pattern continues to emerge, Tempe calls upon all her forensic skills, including bone, tooth/dental, and bitemark analysis and x-ray microflourescence to convince the police that the cases are related and to try to stop the killer before he strikes again."

Plot: I liked that the plot was realistic , especially time-wise and I enjoyed that their was more going on in Brennan's life that could make the plot at times seems choppy, but I mean in real life we have more then one thing going on at a time, and although on event may take priority.. it isn't the only thing. So, you to see that in this book and you see that in the way her job is depicted.  It is indeed anthropology based, mixed with a police crime drama, and even some forensic psychology in there! I actually found the plot in general predictable, but to be fair my mother is a police office, my major is forensic psychology and I grew up being fascinated with crime drama shows.. I almost always knew who the suspect was.

Characters: Riechs spent some time building Temperance Brennan as a character, but I felt lack of connection with her and even the other characters. I don't know if this is because this was Riechs first novel and she wanted more time to really build these characters still or if it was because I was looking for the characters to be like the ones from Bones, that I didn't take time to really get to know them.

Pros: As I said before realism. That is the main Pro.

Cons: I didn't mention it before but I actually didn't find any of the characters very like-able.

Final Thought:
I knew this was going to be a tough review to write, mainly for the fact that I knew my review was going to come of more negative then positive and here is the thing. I didn't love it, I didn't hate it. There weren't many pros or cons. The thing is I think I went into this book expecting Temperance Brennan to be the Temperance Brennan on Bones and to have a bunch oh lab geeks/squints and a dashing FBI Agent named Seeley Booth. (and maybe that comes later on) but from what I can tell the book is far from the TV show version. So, I think I focused too much on that and let myself down. Also, at times I would have to stop mind way through my reading because, I became too tired to read. This isn't bad, I just do not think my brain was prepared to read the more technical adult book. So I would have to rest my brain. But don't get me wrong. I really ended up enjoying the book and I am excited to read Death Du Jour and now I can go into it with the right frame of mind. 
If you are into the crime dramas and that whole process then you will enjoy Deja Dead. This Is definitely geared to an older audience, and most definitely isn't YA, So if you are souly YA or have a week stomach.. Then pass. If you are a HUGE Bones fan who loves to read, then maybe you will like the book. You just can't go into it with the frame of mind I did. Overall, not a bad book.


No comments:

Post a Comment