Saturday, July 9, 2011

Madame Tussaud

For this Post I am going to try a new style of blogging, if you could be SO kind as to tell me whether you like it or not that would be much appreciated = )


Summary: Madame Tussuad is a historical fiction novel, about Madame Tussaud/Marie Grosholtz and her life being a wax sculptress during the French Revolution. We watch Marie build popularity for their Salon, by getting the Royal Family to visit the Salon and becoming The Royal Private Wax Tutor. Soon, the tides turn and they are caught between loyalities to the royal family they have grown to know and the revolutionary men who have dinner with them in their Salon. Highly influential revolutionaries such as Robespierre, Marat, and Camille.  As her Uncle says.. they have become "survivalists".

My Thoughts...

Plot: Obviously, since it is history the plot is already written, but Moran does in excellent job of taking a whole lot of historical information and breaking it down into a story, that is beautiful written and easy to follow.

Characters: The Characters we perfectly written, and humanized, yet she was vague enough to leave them to your interpretation and to stay true, to the fact that since the lived hundreds of years ago, you cannot described exactly who they are.  My other praise is how intriguing, she made even the smallest of characters. 

Pros: The research, the characters and the fact that I couldn't put the book down! It felt like I was reading non-fiction, yet I was actually reading history.

Cons: My only complaint is that is that I wish she continued on after the revolution ended, instead of ending it with the cold hard facts... I REALLY wanted to know more about her relationship with Henri.

Final Thought: AMAZING, AMAZING BOOK! I couldn't put it down! Moran describes the horror that takes place so graphically, while remaining tasteful. She had me turning page after page to see where the Grosholtz would end up, since they were close to both sides. She also, had me wondering what would happen to less important characters. She took a whole lot of history and turned it into a captivating story. I would have NEVER known any of this, had I not read this book. I also, loved seeing a different point of view of how the revolution happened and how the royal family handled the situation. If you have not read his book DO IT, if this book hasn't had the movie rights bought for it yet, then they need to do so IMMEDIATELY.

1 comment:

  1. Great review. I like it. ;) I only read one book written by Michelle Moran, but I really loved her writing style and I want to read more of her books. This book sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete