Friday, September 23, 2011

Book Tour: Frost

Summary:
"Leena Thomas’s senior year at boarding school starts with a cruel shock: Frost House, the cozy Victorian dorm where she and her best friends chose to live, has been assigned an unexpected roommate—confrontational, eccentric Celeste Lazar.
What Celeste lacks in social grace, however, her brother, David, a recent transfer student, makes up for in good looks and charm. But while he and Leena hit it off immediately, Leena finds herself struggling to balance her growing attraction with her fear of getting hurt.
As classes get under way, strange happenings begin to bedevil Frost House—frames mys-teriously falling off walls, doors locking by themselves, furniture toppling over. Celeste blames the housemates, convinced they want to scare her into leaving. And while Leena tries to play peacekeeper between her best friends and new roommate, soon the mysterious happenings in the dorm, an intense triangle between Leena, Celeste, and David, and the reawakening of childhood fears all push Leena to take increasingly desperate measures to feel safe. But does the threat lie with her new roommate, within Leena’s own mind . . . or in Frost House itself?"
Plot: The plot itself had a lot to work with, I mean it sounds like a straight up perfect scenario for a horror/psychological thriller movie. The writing had all the makings of it too, the build up was great, but the ending was quite anti-climatic.

Characters: I felt the only real character build up was focused on Leena,Celeste and David and even then the characters lacked enough depth. The author touched the surface, but missed in opportunity to give her characters more dimension.

Pros: Captivating read, a REAL girl character (she wasn't too big or too beautiful, she wasn't too insecure or an overachiever) she was real and normal. Lots of potential. Good Writing.

Cons: Anti-Climatic Ending, unnecessary political stabs, unnecessary characters.

Final Thoughts: I received this book at 3 pm on Wednesday... Began reading at like 7pm and was up reading it till 5AM (with breaks in between) Then Thursday I began reading at 11pm and finished at 2:30AM.
Meaning I was ENTHRALLED in this book. The build up was REALLY nice and had me waiting for that big finish, but then all of a sudden I realize I am at pg. 350 out of 400 and we are still in the middle of build up.. which leaves only 50 pages left to wrap the book up. I feel that this is almost never a good sign in a book. Cause usually you are not going to get the result you were hoping for and that was what happened. I enjoyed the book and thought it was GOOD but it could of been GREAT had the ending been tweaked and maybe just added a little more creep factor. Although it was a nice mild thriller. The other thing that bothered me was the need for the character Kate. Who is suppose to be the girls BFF, and was rooming with Leena, second semester, but then Celeste happens and blah blah blah. Honestly. I felt Kate was just an un-needed excuse for the plot line, which could have worked with out her. She is briefly mentioned like 3 times in the book and makes a short appearance as an actual character, but even then I felt she was only used to make some sense of her character/ She doesn't even show up in the end. Really just not needed. I also would have felt worse for Leena had her other friends characters been developed more. Now, don't get me wrong the book is a good first attempt at a book and you will more then likely enjoy the book, I just feel that it had way more potential, or better yet the author had way more potential in her writing skills.

Me, My Shelf and I Book Tours
I was graciously allowed to be apparent of this Book Tour through Amber at Me, My Shelf and I.

Other Participants and Their Reviews
Cici's Books
Hippies,Beauty and Books
Me,My Shelf and I (well of course)

Frost Was Released on September 13th, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment