Saturday, September 10, 2011

Revelations (Book 3, Blue Bloods)

Summary:
"Have you ever wondered what secrets lurk behind the closed doors of New York City's wealthiest families? They're powerful, they're famous... they're undead. Schuyler Van Alen's blood legacy has just been called into question--is the young vampire in fact a Blue Blood, or is it the sinister Silver Blood that runs through her veins? As controversy swirls, Schuyler is left stranded in the Force household, trapped under the same roof as her cunning nemesis, Mimi Force, and her forbidden crush, Jack Force. When one of the Gates of Hell is breached by Silver Bloods in Rio de Janeiro, however, the Blue Bloods will need Schuyler on their side. The stakes are high; the battle is bloody; and through it all, Carnavale rages on. And in the end, one vampire's secret identity will be exposed in a revelation that shocks everyone."
Plot: This plot was a lot slower paced then the first 2 books (Blue Bloods and Masquerade) which were way more action packed and quick paced that made your head spin and your pulse race. So, at first the slower pace of this book was a little abrupt to me, since I was still on a high from Masquerade, but I found the plot to be just what I needed. It gave you all the answers you needed then, you didn't have to wait till the VERY last book to get all the answers. Then in the last 50 pages the book goes from 20mph to 100mph in a second and leaves your brain numb.

Characters: You learn a lot about the characters in this book, but it is always hard to understand them completely cause no one is always who they seem to be, especially with all their past lives. I still find it hard to like Mimi given her character is so unlikeable, but De La Cruz does a great job at "humanizing" her.  Jack is very swoonworthy but frustrating and Oliver... I go from liking him, to finding him whiny. He needs to grow a pair.

Pros: Book 3 is fresh and new while staying true to the core of the series.

Cons: OK, I am actually annoyed with how Michael, the Archangel.. pure of heart is portrayed as rather secretive,self involved and deceitful. It just doesn't add up and I hope will be explained or disproved in the next books. It is just something that has bothered me from book 1.

Final Thoughts: This series just doesn't seize to amaze me. De La Cruz is an awesome writer and story teller. I find the idea of the series as a whole, so fresh and new and I am surprised it does not have as much acclaim as Harry Potter or Twilight. I hope that the series continues on to impress me. I feel that Revelations most likely won't be the most memorable books of the series, but was definitely needed in telling the story as a whole. Even though I just finished the 3rd book of the series, I highly suggest you read them. I will say though that the ending was so mind blowing that I will have to take a very short break before reading Book 4; The Van Alen Legacy.


1 comment:

  1. Great review! This is definitely a series I want to check out. It sounds fab! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete