Thursday, May 19, 2011

Beastly


As I have said many times before, I wanted to read Beastly before the movie came out. Which obviously.. the movie has already come out. However, I still held out of watching the movie, before I read the book and to be honest I am glad I did. Also, to be honest.. I expected this book to be simple. Nothing special.. I guess, I felt like the book and the movie would be exactly the same and that it would not be too intriguing. I was greatly wrong.

So for those who don't know it is a modern take on Beauty and The Beast and the book is more true to the original story line, while (from what I can tell ) the movie takes some artistic liberties which I'm sure are fine, I was just picturing the book, to be similar to what I have seen in the movie trailer. The only actual modern thing about the book  is that it takes place in modern America. But other than that it is pretty close. Like he is an actually beast. Not just a greatly disfigured human. The one thing I didn't really like was the use of IM/Chat Room talk that is used in between chapters. I feel as if it wasn't needed (although it was amusing) and I think it may have dated the book.

Overall I was greatly pleased, by the book. While staying true to the story line and playing homage to important part of the story... Flinn was still able to make the book and story her own. If you weren't sure if you wanted to read this book, I think you most definitely should.. Although, I do warn that the ending is kind of cheesy.

No comments:

Post a Comment