Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo


I was really excited when I received The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo for Christmas from my Future Mother In - Law Dena. I was excited for several reasons. For awhile I heard buzz about how good the book was, I heard how dark, twisted and mysterious it was and all that fun juicy stuff. Then I heard a lot of buzz about the Swedish version of the movie and once I heard it was going to be made into an American version. I had to read it! So, I was happy to receive it as one of my Christmas books.

I was really surprised at how different the book was then I expected it to be. I, for some reason thought it would be about a girl in a secret cult, with a magical dragon tattoo. I don't know why, but that is what I thought the book was going to be about. I also, knew the main character was Lisbeth Salander, so I was surprised with how minimal the girl with the dragon tattoo's role, kind of was. Her role in the book is very important; we just focus  a lot more time on Mikael Blomvkist and his story. The book starts off quite mysteriously,with Henrik Vanger receiving a pressed flower like he does every year on his birthday for an unknown source, then goes into Mikael Blomvkist's trial where he has been convicted of libel and then Lisbeth is intertwined into the story with her researching skills for a secruity agency. Her secruity agency is hired by Henrik Vanger to do research on Mikael. So that Vanger can hire Mikael to solve his families mystery.

The book has four parts and takes course in a little over a year. While there are some parts that are really intriguing I have to admit that towards the end of the book, I was rather disappointed and had the books not been SO raved about I may not have wanted to read the second book in the series. What I do like is the book is meticulously planned, minor things mentioned all tie into the book, like a perfect puzzle. There are a few loose ends that I would like to be answered particularly about Lisbeth Salander cause little really is known about her. She is an intriguing character. There were also, a few things that bothered me in this book, like how some situations were handle, which I hope; maybe the reasons they were handled that way will come to light in the next book and also, I wasn't happy with some of the relationship choices in the book either. BUT Again, there is something complex about the book that makes you look over those things. I was shocked by some of the material covered, cause of what it entailed and will be hard to watch when I see it play out on camera. I was also shocked by how a particular incident struck a cord in me. I cannot go into detail, but I was surprised by how minor the incident in the book was, it made me cry in disgust and sadness. This tidbit is towards the middle-ish end of the book, when Blomkvist is getting closer to perhaps solving the mystery. If you think you may know what I am talking about, feel free to comment below or message me and we can talk about it.. Unless, I'm the only one who was so affected by it.  So far my feelings are mixed and we will see where I stand with the next book.


What's Next?
Room by Emma Donoghue. Again, another gift and another book I have heard good things about. I know it is suppose to be dark as well and that it has to do with a boy named Jack, I think? Who is whole life has lived in a single room with his Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment